It is "fundamental" for Inter Milan to get a result against Serie A joint leader AC Milan in Sunday’s Milan Derby, Nerazzurri coach Simone Inzaghi said on Saturday.
Seven points separates the third-placed Italian champion from Milan, which has picked up 31 points from a possible 33 and is only behind table-topping Napoli on goal difference.
Inter heads into the game at San Siro in good form, with four wins and a draw in their last five games in all competitions.
But Inzaghi realises the importance of a fixture where defeat would leave it with a mountain to climb in the title race.
“We are doing great things, the numbers show that. You have to congratulate Napoli and Milan for their progress,” Inzaghi told a news conference.
“Winning tomorrow would increase our conviction, but we will have to all suffer together.”
“We have a big chance tomorrow, We started this run of games (since the October international break) badly with the defeat in Rome against Lazio, then we won (four) and drew one," he added.
“Those results gave us great conviction, but tomorrow it is fundamental to get a result.”
Milan defeated AS Roma 2-1 last weekend and remains unbeaten in the league this season.
The result in Rome made it the fourth team in Serie A history to win 10 out of 11 games at the start of a league campaign, Napoli being one of the others.
“In these games the league table is reset. We will need to do well in both phases, Milan and Napoli are having a start to the season not seen for 40 years and they deserve praise,” Inzaghi said.
“They give very little away, they have a great coach who I know well, and we will have to pay close attention. We know we are in great form and we can play a good match.”
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023