Napoli defender Vlad Chiriches will have surgery on Monday after it was confirmed he has torn the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee.
The centre-back came off in the 31st minute of Romania's 0-0 Nations League draw with Montenegro in Ploiesti on Friday.
Medical tests have since shown he suffered a ligament tear and will undergo an operation, Napoli confirmed in a statement on Monday.
Chiriches only made seven Serie A appearances last season and was yet to appear under Carlo Ancelotti in 2018-19.
He joined the club from Tottenham in 2015 for a reported fee of £4.5million.
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures