Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte was happy with his team's performance in its 4-3 win over Fiorentina on Saturday but said it still needed to find a better balance between defence and attack.
“The three points were important and there were positive aspects such as scoring four goals and creating a lot of chances,” he said after their opening Serie A match of the season.
“Our attack created a lot of problems for Fiorentina but, on the other hand, we weren't very good at stopping their counter-attacks.”
“The lads know that we have to improve in this sense. You need to attack and defend in numbers -- balance is the basis of everything if you want to win important championships.
“Maybe we attacked with too many players and left gaps at the back.”
Inter finished as runners-up in both Serie A and the Europa League last season - Conte's first in charge - and this season is aiming to win its first major trophy since 2011.
“Last season, we gained credibility in Italy by coming second in the league and for many other positive things. But also on an international level, because going back to a final in Europe means bringing Inter back where we belong,” he said.
“We must give joy to our fans even with matches like these in which the team never gave up. They showed great desire and will to win, and I am proud of them.”
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST