South Africa international defender Motjeka Madisha has been killed in a car accident in Johannesburg, the South African Football Association (SAFA) confirmed on Sunday.
Madisha, 25, was travelling with one other person when their car struck a billboard post and burst into flames. Both men died.
Madisha, who played for South African Premier Soccer League champions Mamelodi Sundowns, won 12 caps for his country and most recently featured in its Africa Cup of Nations qualification double-header against Sao Tome e Principe last month.
“I am still trying to ascertain facts of what really transpired, but this is terrible news for football,” SAFA president Danny Jordaan said in a statement.
It follows the death on November 23 of former South Africa international Anele Ngcongca, 33, who was also killed in a car accident. Ngcongca was until last month a Sundowns player too, but had moved to Durban-based AmaZulu.
- IND vs ENG: Shoaib Bashir becomes second youngest overseas bowler to pick five wickets in India
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: IND 303/9, trails by 50 runs; Jurel nears century
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: TN 338 all out, leads by 155; Yash Thakur removes Manish Pandey
- NBA roundup: Celtics tops Knicks for 8th straight win
- WPL 2024: Revamped Gujarat Giants faces uphill task against buoyant Mumbai Indians