Spain coach Luis Enrique dropped David de Gea and included Brentford goalkeeper David Raya on Friday in the squad for upcoming friendly matches against Albania and Iceland.
De Gea played the entire match for Manchester United on Tuesday when the side was eliminated by Atletico Madrid from the Champions League in the round of 16 after losing the second leg 1-0.
De Gea was Spain’s starter at a disappointing 2018 World Cup. He then became a backup to Unai Simon, who helped Spain reach the semifinals of the European Championship last year.
Raya, 26, was born in Barcelona but has played in England for several years. He was at Blackburn before joining Brentford in 2019. Raya will likely be third-choice 'keeper behind Athletic Bilbao’s Simon and Robert Sanchez of Brighton.
Spain will host Albania in Barcelona on March 26 and Iceland in A Coruna on March 29 as it starts preparation for the World Cup in Qatar.
- PSG midfielder Fabian Ruiz picks up shoulder injury during 2-0 league win at Le Havre
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, Highlights, FCG 1-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Rowllin Borges’ strike takes Gaurs to the top of the table
- India beats Australia in the 5th T20I and wins the series 4-1 as Arshdeep successfully defends in the final over
- Premier League: Fernandez double helps 10-man Chelsea to 3-2 win over Brighton
- India vs Australia highlights, 5th T20I: IND wins by 6 runs as Arshdeep defends 10 in the last over