Hakim Ziyech has signed a one-year contract extension at Ajax amid reported interest from Bayern Munich.
Bayern was thought to be keen to step up its pursuit of Ziyech after it was confirmed Manchester City star Leroy Sane sustained ACL damage in his right knee that will keep him out for up to seven months.
The Morocco international was reported to be available for €35million, but he looks set to stay at Ajax for the foreseeable future after signing a deal that runs until June 2022.
Ziyech followed in the footsteps of David Neres, who also agreed a one-year extension in Amsterdam on Wednesday.
Ajax will be pleased to have retained the 26-year-old – also linked to Sevilla – after Lasse Schone on Friday followed Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, Maximilian Wober and Daley Sinkgraven out the door in the wake of its incredible run to the Champions League semifinals last season.
Bayern is likely to have to look elsewhere as it tries to add depth in the wide areas, after veteran duo Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben left at the end of their contracts last season.
- IND vs ENG, 5th Test: KL Rahul ruled out; Bumrah back for India
- WPL 2024: Kiran Navgire hits half-century, UP Warriorz beats Mumbai Indians by seven wickets
- Prague Masters: Praggnanandhaa commits blunder, loses second round match
- Indian sports wrap, February 29
- Packed schedule is ‘killing the product’, PFA chief warns