Lionel Messi’s father Jorge has confirmed that the Paris Saint-Germain star is yet to take a call on his future amid rumours of a reported transfer to Saudi Arabia.
“There is absolutely nothing with any club for next year. The decision will never be made before Lionel ends the league with PSG,” Jorge said in a statement on Instagram.
The 2022 FIFA World Cup winner was reportedly set for a move to Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal, as reported by AFP, with sources close to the negotiation saying that the transfer was a done deal.
Messi’s father, however, quashed those rumours and said that the decision will only be taken after a proper analysis of the market situation once Messi’s contract with PSG ends on June 30. The Argentine will reportedly not activate the last 12 months of his three-year contract.
“Once the season is over, it will be time to analyse, see what is there, and then make a decision,” Jorge said.
The 35-year-old was suspended by PSG last week for an unauthorised trip to Saudi, where he is a tourism ambassador. As a result, Messi was absent from the PSG squad that travelled to Troyes and will also miss the clash against Ajaccio.
Jorge criticised the media for gaining ‘notoriety’ by publishing rumours.
“There are always rumours and many use the name of Lionel to gain notoriety but the truth is only one and we can assure that there is nothing with anyone. Neither verbal, nor signed, nor agreed...”
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Kishan scores fifty; India sets West Indies 365-run target
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present
- Deodhar Trophy: Tournament favourite South Zone looks to open campaign on a high against North Zone