Striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not feature for Sweden in their four UEFA Nations League matches next month, national team manager Janne Andersson said on Wednesday.
Ibrahimovic has struggled with a knee injury in recent months, last playing a full 90 minutes in January for his club AC Milan.
"Everyone knows that he has had an injury problem for a while and has withdrawn from the tournament from that perspective," Andersson said.
Ibrahimovic first retired from the Swedish national team after Euro 2016, but returned for their World Cup qualifiers in 2021.
He is Sweden's all-time leading scorer, with 62 goals in 121 games.
ALSO READ |
When asked if Ibrahimovic had permanently ruled himself out of playing for Sweden, Andersson said he would stay in contact with the 40-year-old.
"We will keep in touch in the future, we agreed on this last time we spoke. We just talked about the upcoming games, nothing else," Andersson said.
Rangers defender Filip Helander and Sampdoria midfielder Albin Ekdal have also been ruled out of the squad due to injuries.
Sweden, which has been drawn in group B4, is away to Slovenia (June 3) before hosting Norway (June 6) and Serbia (June 10), followed by a trip to face Norway on June 12.
- Bangladesh ODI World Cup 2023 squad: Shakib leads, Tamim Iqbal left out
- Honest Lalit Kumar runs 100m final alone as others flee to evade dope test at Delhi State Championships
- ODI World Cup 2023: Southee cleared to join New Zealand squad after surgery, aiming to play opener
- India starts favourite against Nepal in SAFF U19 Championship semifinals
- Asian Games 2023: With packed arena and high ticket prices, Esports a hit in Hangzhou