Olympic medalists Gurbux Singh and Dr. Vece Paes were conferred Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award for 2021 and 2022 here on Monday.
At a function organised on the occasion of National Sports Day, the two hockey players, who lived and played the sport in the city, were honoured with the award by Hockey Bengal.
Gurbux won a gold medal in the 1964 Olympics and a bronze in the following edition in 1968. He was also a part of the 1966 Asian Games gold medal-winning Indian squad.
Dr. Paes won an Olympics bronze in 1972 and a World Cup bronze in 1971.
Both got the award for their outstanding contribution to hockey in India.
The Sports Authority of India (SAI) Netaji Subhas Eastern Centre here also celebrated the National Sports Day by conducting various recreational games for its staffers.
Athletes such as Swapna Burman, Pranati Nayak and Satyajit Mandal were felicitated at the event, inaugurated by regional director Vineet Kumar.
- Atlanta United 5-2 Inter Miami Highlights: Miami slump to huge loss without Lionel Messi in MLS
- Neeraj Chopra finishes 2nd in Diamond League finals, Vadlejch wins
- Neeraj Chopra ends 2nd, Diamond League finals HIGHLIGHTS: Vadlejch becomes champion with 84.24m attempt
- VIDEO: Messi returns to Inter Miami ahead of match against Atlanta
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores again as Al Nassr beats Al Raed 3-1 in Saudi Pro League