Indian men’s hockey team midfielder Vivek Sagar Prasad said that he was devastated after missing the Commonwealth Games 2022 final against Australia due to a minor knee injury.
India lost to Australia 0-7 and won silver.
“I was devastated to miss the Commonwealth Games final against Australia. Making the final of such a prestigious tournament is a big deal for any player. Having played a good campaign to reach the final and then being ruled out of the summit clash due to injury was devastating for me,” Vivek Sagar Prasad said in a Hockey India release.
He added, “I really wanted to be there for my team on that particular day. However, this happens in sports. So, the only thing we can do now is to move on.”
This was Vivek Sagar’s second outing at the Commonwealth Games. In 2018, at the Gold Coast, Vivek was the youngest player of the squad. While it was an exciting outing for him as a 17-year-old, the team returned home without a medal.
“The CWG in 2018 was my first experience of a multi-discipline sporting event. I was quite young and really excited. But it was a disappointing outing for us as a team. This time, we were adamant of a good show but again, things did not go as planned in the Final,” he said.
Having rested over the past few weeks, Vivek will join his compatriots on Monday, when the National Camp commences in SAI, Bengaluru.
He said, “It was just a minor injury. Having rested well over the past weeks, I am eager to join my teammates in camp and begin our preparations for the Odisha Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 to be held in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela in January. I am sure the team’s support staff will assess my recovery once I join the camp basis which they will plan my workload.”
- Mohun Bagan SG vs NorthEast United FC LIVE score, MBSG 4-2 NEUFC, ISL 2023-24: Sahal gets on the scoresheet as Mariners take two-goal lead
- Bundesliga 2023-24: Bayern at fault for Kane’s form dip says coach Tuchel
- Hyderabad FC vs East Bengal FC Highlights, HFC vs EBFC, ISL 2023-24: Preview, match updates and more
- La Liga: Madrid coach Ancelotti swerves Mbappe leaving PSG talk amid links
- IND vs ENG, 3rd Test: Jaiswal, Siraj give Bazball a reality check, put India in driver’s seat on Day 3