Nitesh Kumar made history last season when he became the first defender to score 100 points in a Pro Kabaddi League season and has now been named UP Yoddha's captain for PKL 2019. He becomes one of the youngest captains in PKL history.
“UP Yoddha’s team captures the warrior spirit of Uttar Pradesh and its players are ready to give their blood, sweat and tears in the battlefield. Nitish Kumar will be the captain of this side this season,” Team UP Yoddha said.
RELATED| Attack the best form of defence; UP Yoddha out to "raid" its way to title
UP Yoddha entered PKL in season 5 and has enjoyed a remarkable run since. The side made it to the playoffs over the last two seasons and put up a scintillating show last year, but lost in the Eliminator, just one game short of the final. With the arrival of star raider Monu Goyat and the presence of fellow heavyweights such as Rishank Devadiga and Shrikanth Jadhav, UP Yoddha appears a formidable unit this season.
The side will begin its PKL 2019 campaign against Bengal Warriors on July 24.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open: Sabalenka, Djokovic hoping to steer clear of controversy
- ENG vs IRE Test, day 1: England takes control against Ireland as Broad stars with ball
- ‘I will continue’: Ronaldo says he’ll stay in Saudi
- India wins Junior Asia Cup, beats Pakistan 2-1
- Champions League final referee under UEFA scrutiny for links to far-right leader in Poland