M/s Narwal & Narwal — captain Pardeep and raider Deepak — stole the limelight for Patna Pirates as they rolled over Tamil Thalaivas in the sixth edition of Pro Kabaddi at The Arena by TransStadia on Wednesday night. Thanks to the two Narwals sharing more than half of Pirates’ points, the second-placed team in Zone B closed in on the pool leader Bengaluru Bulls with a 45-27 win.
Having overcome Telugu Titans a night earlier , Thalaivas hoped to continue in the same vein, but such was the charge of Pirates that not once was Thalaivas ahead in the points tally throughout the night. It took Pirates just six minutes to enforce the first all-out and open up a hefty 10-1 lead.
Thakur closes gap
Thalaivas then had its best passage in the game with captain Ajay Thakur leading the charge and forcing the Pirates to be all out. It closed the gap to 14-11. At the break, the Patna boys enjoyed a three-point advantage and Thalaivas inched closer soon after the interval, trailing by a solitary point in the second minute of the second half.
However, the dominance of the Narwals resumed as Pirates ran away with the game to eventually register an 18-point win. While Pirates earned the maximum five points, Thalaivas returned empty-handed.
Gujarat's late surge too much to handle for U Mumba
Gujarat Fortunegiants successfully put yesterday's shocker behind its back to power past U Mumba. Gujarat edged past U Mumba in 39-35 victory to maintain its perfect win record against the men from Mumbai. Gujarat is now four points behind U Mumba in Zone A with two games in hand.
The scoreline, however, isn't reflective of the entire proceedings of the match. For the majority of the duration of the match, U Mumba had the upper hand and refused to concede the lead. Siddharth Desai started off strongly for U Mumba by racking up eight raid points in the first half, including the monstrous raid to inflict the first all-out on Gujarat.
Parvesh Bhainswal then led the recovery —ably supported by Sachin and skipper Sunil Kumar— and Gujarat inflicted an all-out on U Mumba to reduce the deficit to 2. There was no looking for Gujarat from that point onwards as the raiders — K Prapanjan and Sachin Tanwar — clinched one raid point after another to inflict a second all-out on U Mumba in the dying stages of the match. Needless to say, Sunil's dash on Abolfazl Maghsodlou to inflict the second all-out sealed the game for Gujarat.
A valiant effort from U Mumba, but it just fell short in the end. Siddharth Desai continued his good run as he bagged 13 raid points on the night, followed by Rohit Baliyan with six.
- Zone B: Patna Pirates 45 (Pardeep Narwal 13, Deepak Narwal 10, Manjeet 8) bt Tamil Thalaivas 27 (Ajay Thakur 8, Manjeet Chhillar 5).
- Zone A: Gujarat Fortunegiants 39 (K. Prapanjan 10, Sachin Tanwar 7, Parvesh Bhainswal 6) bt U Mumba 35 (Siddharth Desai 13, Rohit Baliyan 6).
- India vs Singapore hockey LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 updates: Starting 11 OUT! Streaming info; Match to begin at 6:30am IST
- Asian Games 2023 schedule today, September 26: Indians in action, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games: Divyansh Singh, Manu Bhaker, Rhythm Sangwan among others in action - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Manu Bhaker in action in 25m Pistol, Bhavani Devi begins her campaign, India vs Singapore in men’s hockey
- Flintoff back to old self after horror crash: Trescothick