Robert Kubica returns to F1 with Williams, says team

Robert Kubica, the Polish driver, has not taken part in a Grand Prix since his right arm was partially severed in an accident in 2011.

Indomitable battler: Robert Kubica will return to the sport after an eight-year layoff.   -  Getty Images

Polish driver Robert Kubica will return to Formula One for Williams in 2019, eight years after he was seriously injured in a rally crash, the team said on Thursday.

 

Kubica, who has not taken part in a Grand Prix since his right arm was partially severed in the accident in 2011, joins Englishman George Russell at the British team in 2019. The 33-year-old Polish driver has done several practice sessions for Williams and his return to the sport was announced in Abu Dhabi, the venue of his last race back in 2010.

'Challenging journey'

Kubica said: “Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me during what was a difficult period of my life over these last few years. It has been a challenging journey to make it back to the Formula One grid, but what seemed almost impossible is now beginning to feel possible, as I am excited to be able to say that I will be on the Formula One grid in 2019. It will not be easy, but, with hard work and dedication, both George and myself will work together to try and help the team get in better shape to move further up the grid.”

Kubica’s right arm was partially severed in the rally crash in Italy in February 2011 which brought a dramatic halt to his F1 career that had already produced one Grand Prix victory.

Support Sportstar


Dear Reader,

Support our journalism — where text and pictures intermingle so seamlessly — and help us scale up your experience as the world changes around us. Your contribution is vital to our brand of uninfluenced, boots-on-the-ground reportage that’s worth your while. Clickbait sensationalism is not for us, but editorial independence is — we owe it to you.

Read the Free eBook

  Dugout videos