Dani Pedrosa will make a wild-card return to MotoGP at Austria's Red Bull Ring from August 6 to 8, the KTM team said on Wednesday.
The 35-year-old Spaniard had retired from full-time racing at the end of 2018 but has since served as KTM's factory test rider.
Three times a runner-up in the top category, Pedrosa won 31 races with Honda between 2006-18. The race at the Red Bull Ring will be his first for KTM.
"It is interesting again to go into a race because it gives you a different perspective compared to a normal test," he said.
"My focus for the GP is to try to test the things we have on the bike in a race situation. I wish to understand the requests riders might have for different sessions and technical features."
Latest on Sportstar
- FA Cup trophy returns to Manchester - Which side? To be decided
- Warner is looking good for WTC final and Ashes: Khawaja
- Jakarta ePrix: Maserati’s Gunther grabs maiden pole
- IPL 2023: Five uncapped Indian players who set the season alight
- ‘Nothing matters’: Attitude adjustment helps Tsitsipas rediscover his rhythm