India's Deaflympics 2021 contingent - 65 athletes participating in 11 sports disciplines - was given a warm send-off on Monday ahead of its journey for the games starting May 1 in Cazias Du Sul, Brazil.
In the Games scheduled from May 1 to May 15, the largest and the youngest contingent ever from India in the Deaflympics will participate in athletics, badminton, judo, golf, karate, shooting, swimming, tennis, table tennis, taekwondo and wrestling.
Among those present to give the send-off were the Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Anurag Thakur and the junior minister in the ministry Nisith Pramanik. Extending his best wishes, Thakur said the players have shown their mettle by getting selected to represent India in the Games.
The Union Minister also spoke about the immense support provided to the athletes by the All India Sports Council for the Deaf (AISCD) and the Sports Authority of India.
India had sent a delegation of 46 participants in the last Deaflympics in Turkey in 2017. It bagged five medals including one gold, one silver and three bronze medals.
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC v CFC, ISL 2023-24: Match updates, preview and more
- F1 2024 Preview: Longest season starts in Bahrain with Red Bull still the team to beat
- Aishwary Tomar betters world record score while winning men’s 50m rifle 3P national trials
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Updates, WPL 2024: Healy vs Lanning as UPW, DC eye first win
- Messi, Haaland, Verstappen and Djokovic among others nominated for Laureus World Sportsman of Year Award