Madhya Pradesh would rope in international coaches to train athletes for the canoe slalom water sport, a government official said on Wednesday.
The decision was taken in a meeting between state Sports Minister Yashodhara Raje Scindia and Union Sports Secretary Injeti Srinivas here on Tuesday, he said.
“The Union Sports Secretary has given consent to appoint international coaches for canoe slalom in Madhya Pradesh. Besides, various issues related to sports were also discussed in the meeting,” a Public Relations department official said.
A canoe slalom training centre is currently running on the bank of river Narmada in Khargone district’s Maheshwar.
The official said several athletes from the state have excelled in national level competitions in the recent past due to enhanced training facilities.
“The Sports Minister demanded the Centre to appoint international coaches for various sports, besides laying a synthetic athletics track in Bhopal’s TT Nagar Stadium,” he said.
Scindia also demanded funds for the construction of an indoor stadium in Bhopal so that optimum facilities could be offered to sportspersons, he said.
White-water slalom or canoe slalom is a competitive sport where the aim is to navigate a decked canoe or kayak through a course of hanging gates on river rapids in the fastest time possible.
It is one of the two kayaking and canoing disciplines at the Olympics.
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organization are not correct
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals
- Brigadier Harcharan Singh honoured with Sportstar Hero Unsung Champion award at ‘Focus Punjab’ Sports Conclave