SURAT: Sixteen-year-old Suhana Saini of Haryana, one of the most promising young paddlers, produced the lone upset in the women’s singles second round table tennis match of the 36th National Games here on Thursday. However, in the men’s singles, all the top eight seeds, sailed to the pre-quarterfinals. Suhana overcame Prapti Sen of West Bengal, 13-15, 11-7, 13-11, 11-6, 8-11, 14-12 to reach the pre-quarterfinals.
G. Sathiyan and Sharath Kamal of Tamil Nadu, the top two seeds, produced a strong performance to defeat Wesley Do Roserio of Haryana and Ravindra Kotiyan of Maharashtra respectively.
Maharashtra’s Sanil Shetty, the third seed, was pushed to the brink before he overcame Divyansh Srivastav (UP) 11-6, 7-11, 9-11, 11-8, 11-9, 7-11, 11-9. Haryana’s Soumyajit Ghosh, seeded seventh, had to produce his best to beat Raegan Albuquerque of Maharashtra 11-5, 4-11, 11-2, 10-12, 11-13, 11-7, 11-9 to enter the pre-quarterfinals.
The results (round of 32):
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST