A super 10 from Pawan Sehrawat and valuable contributions from Aslam Inamdar and Arjun Deshwal helped India beat Iran 42-32 in the final of the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2023 in Busan on Friday.
This is India’s eighth Asian Championship gold medal, a win sealed by a fairly comfortable win over arch rival Iran who did not field many of its veterans in this tournament.
Join Mayank and Lavanya Lakshminarayanan as they discuss the Indian men’s kabaddi team’s gold medal triumph, how the competition is looking in the run-up to the Asian Games and the worrying health of the sport worldwide.
In this episode, we discuss:
- India’s form in the tournament and the clear gap in skill between India, Iran and the other nations
- AKC 2023 - the perfect preparatory tournament ahead of the Asian Games in China
- The competitive pool - Missing nations at the tournament
- India vs Iran - the rivalry driving Kabaddi; takeaways for both camps
- Popularity of the sport rising in India coinciding with seeming decline in other nations like Korea
- Notable mentions in the Asian Championships
- Djokovic fuming after doping control request before Davis Cup win
- ISL 2023-24 points table LIVE: Indian Super League standings in Round 6, Chennaiyin surpasses East Bengal
- Hockey Nationals: Inquisitive ball boys from Tamil Nadu’s hockey nursery Kovilpatti keen to learn and ‘explore’
- Chennaiyin FC 1-1 East Bengal LIVE Score, ISL 2023-24 updates: Ninthoi restores parity; CFC vs EB streaming info
- Haaland to Ronaldo: Who has scored the most goals in 2023?