Top-ranked women’s squash player, Raneem El Welily, announced her retirement on Thursday. The 31-year-old Egyptian was the first Arab woman to be world No. 1 in any sport, the Professional Squash Association said.
El Welily first took the top ranking in 2015, and won her only world championship two years later. She was a three-time runner-up.
“Squash has been my life for the past 25 years but the time has come for me to say goodbye,” El Welily said in a statement on her social media accounts.
Egypt will retain the top ranking when current world No. 2 Nouran Gohar replaces her compatriot next week.
- Kerala Blasters vs FC Goa LIVE, ISL 10: KBFC v FCG lineups; Kick-off at 7:30 PM IST; When, where to watch
- GG vs MI Live Score, WPL 2024: Beth Mooney & Co. eye opening win against solid Mumbai Indians
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Shams, Tushar strike as Mumbai grasps first-innings lead against Baroda on Day 3
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Vidarbha ends Karnataka’s batting stint and builds on its big lead at the end of day three
- Carabao Cup winners list: Full list teams who have won EFL League Cup before Chelsea vs Liverpool