Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has been shortlisted as one among five contenders for the greatest Laureus Sporting Moment 2000-2020 Award. The winner will be selected after the third and final round of voting, which will end on February 16.
The moment, titled ‘Carried On the Shoulders Of A Nation’, is a reference to the Indian cricket team's 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup triumph.
In his sixth attempt, Tendulkar finally tasted success in 2011 when India beat Sri Lanka by six wickets in the final. Carried on the shoulders of his team-mates, Tendulkar took a lap of the ground, after the victory was sealed in his home city of Mumbai.
Earlier, Tendulkar was one of the 20 contenders for the award.
The foundation has launched the Laureus Sporting Moment 2000-2020 to public vote, which gives fans opportunity to choose one of the winners of the prestigious Laureus World Sports Awards.
The winner will be announced during the Laureus World Sports Awards Show on February 17 in Berlin.
The 20th anniversary Laureus World Sports Awards will honour the greatest sporting triumphs of 2019 and will award the greatest Laureus Sporting Moment of the last 20 years. This campaign shortlists 20 sporting stories from the last 20 years that have left their mark on the world.
- FC Goa vs Kerala Blasters FC, Highlights, FCG 1-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Rowllin Borges’ strike takes Gaurs to the top of the table
- India beats Australia in the 5th T20I and wins the series 4-1 as Arshdeep successfully defends in the final over
- Premier League: Fernandez double helps 10-man Chelsea to 3-2 win over Brighton
- India vs Australia highlights, 5th T20I: IND wins by 6 runs as Arshdeep defends 10 in the last over
- Premier League: Liverpool scores two late goals in 4-3 thriller against Fulham