Manika Batra’s defeat to Monaco’s Yang Xiaoxin ended India’s search for an Olympic berth at the World Singles Qualification Tournament in Doha on Monday.
Yang, ranked 44th in the world, defeated Manika 11-9, 11-4, 8-11, 11-4, 11-9 to move within one victory from booking a place in the Tokyo Olympics.
Earlier, Sutirtha Mukherjee and G. Sathiyan lost in the quarterfinals of their respective pools. Russia’s Polina Mikhailova, ranked 46th, stopped Sutirtha 10-12, 11-7, 11-8, 8-11, 12-10, 11-5. Sathiyan, who had a first round bye, surrendered tamely to Italy’s Mihai Bobocica 11-7, 11-6, 11-8, 11-5.
To book Olympic berths, the Indian paddlers now await the Asian Olympic Qualifiers Tournament at the same venue from March 18 to 20.
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: India wins three silver, two bronze medals; men’s volleyball trails Japan 16-25, 18-25 in quarterfinals; Sharath Kamal leads men’s TT team to quarterfinals
- India vs Japan, LIVE Score Volleyball Asian Games: JPN wins first two sets vs IND; Top 6 classification round - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- India vs Thailand women’s football LIVE score, Asian Games updates: Lineups OUT! Streaming info; Kick-off at 1:30pm IST
- IND vs AUS: Bumrah rested for second ODI vs Australia; Mukesh Kumar named as replacement
- India vs Kazakhstan Table Tennis Live Score Asian Games 2023: IND beats KAZ, Sharath Kamal wins decider; women’s team goes down 2-3 to Thailand - Hangzhou 2022 updates