India’s Ankita Raina cruised past compatriot Rutuja Bhosale 6-1, 6-1 in the semifinal of the KPB Trust ITF Women’s Open at the KSLTA Stadium here on Saturday.
Ankita will take on top seed Brenda Fruhvirtova in the final on Sunday. The 15-year-old Brenda outclassed Slovenia’s fifth-seed Dalila Jakupovic 7-6 (2), 6-2 in the other semifinal.
Ankita, the fourth seed, was in full control of proceedings against Rutuja.
On facing teenage sensation Brenda in the summit clash, Ankita said, “I’ve seen her sister (Linda) play at the WTA Chennai Open. This will be my first time playing Brenda. She is having a good tournament. I like the conditions here. I will have the support of the crowd.”
Brenda was forced to dig deep in the first set, when Dalila took a 5-1 lead. Brenda’s powerful backhand groundstrokes came to the fore in the second set, as Dalila’s resistance faded away.
In the doubles final, the top-seeded pair of Jorge Francisca and Jorge Matilde of Portugal defeated the Greece-Great Britain duo of Valentini Grammatikopolou and Eden Silva 5-7, 6-0, 10-3.
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis LIVE Updates, AFC Champions League 2023-24: Cristiano Ronaldo, Mane, Brozovic starts
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second
- Prannoy, Lakshya withdraw from Syed Modi International 2023
- Hockey Nationals 2023: Defending champions Haryana to face Punjab in the final