Former U.S. Open champion Juan Martin del Potro accepted wild cards on Monday to play two clay-court tournaments after two-and-a-half years recovering from a knee injury.
The organizers of the Argentina Open that starts next week said the 33-year-old del Potro has entered. He will also feature at the Rio Open in Rio de Janeiro the following week.
Del Potro, winner of the 2009 U.S. Open among 22 singles titles and ranked as high as No. 3, has had a career blighted by wrist and knee injuries. His last tournament was in June 2019 at Queens Club in London, where he broke his right knee.
Since then, del Potro has submitted to several treatments, including two surgeries. The last was in March 2021.
“It will be very special to come back to the tour in Buenos Aires and play in Rio, too,” del Potro said in a statement shared by Rio Open organizers. “I have worked a lot and made all the effort to be with you in the next few weeks.”
- PKL LIVE Score, Tamil Thalaivas vs Dabang Delhi: Young Thalaivas eyes win over Naveen’s Dabang; Pro Kabaddi League 2023 updates
- India vs Australia Live Score, 5th T20I: Sangha removes Rinku Singh; IND 91/4 in 12 overs vs AUS
- Arsenal to host Liverpool in third-round FA Cup clash
- IND A vs ENG A Women, 3rd T20I: Issy Wong shines again as England beats India by two wickets to win series 2-1
- Euro 2024: Germany to face Scotland in opener, Spain, Italy and Croatia in group of death