Top seed Elina Svitolina reached her first WTA semifinal of the season after accounting for teenager Leylah Fernandez at the Monterrey Open, while Johanna Konta prevailed in a marathon match.
Svitolina had not progressed to a semifinal since last year's season-ending WTA Finals, but the Ukrainian ended her drought by defeating 17-year-old sensation Fernandez 6-3, 7-5.
World number seven Svitolina needed 98 minutes to book her spot in the final four of the WTA International event in Monterrey on Friday as Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands awaits.
Swedish sixth seed Rebecca Peterson was humbled 6-1, 6-1 by Rus in the day's final match.
Number two seed Konta produced a stunning comeback to trump Russian teenager Anastasia Potapova 6-7(6), 6-3, 7-6(7).
Konta rallied from 5-2 down in the final set and saved two match points to outlast 18-year-old Potapova in a remarkable encounter in Mexico.
Next up is ninth seed Marie Bouzkova, who beat eighth seed Wang Yafan 6-2 7-5.
Latest on Sportstar
- IND vs AUS LIVE Score, WTC Final 2023: Rohit, Cummins eye glory in 50th Test match; Weather, Toss, Playing XI, Dream11 prediction
- IND vs AUS WTC Final, London weather update LIVE: Will it rain on Day 1 at the Oval during India vs Australia match?
- Protesting wrestlers meet sports minister Anurag Thakur
- WTC Final 2023: I think India can win in any condition, says Hussain
- PKL 10: Gujarat Giants hopes to scout best young players, says coach Ram Mehar Singh