Italian tennis federation president Angelo Binaghi said he was confident that the ATP and WTA Rome clay-court tournament could now be played in September.
This year’s edition had been scheduled to start at the Foro Italico on May 11, but was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“I think that, barring major upheavals, we are going to reorganise the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in September, between the middle and the end of the month,” Binaghi told SuperTennis.
Binaghi said he would meet shortly with Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora to discuss ways to “allow the public enjoy this great event“.
RELATE| What are the right criteria to pick the tennis GOAT?
The tournament would, however, overlap with the French Open at Roland Garros which begins on September 20, with qualifying the week before.
Latest on Sportstar
- Protesting wrestlers meet sports minister Anurag Thakur
- WTC Final 2023: I think India can win in any condition, says Hussain
- PKL 10: Gujarat Giants hopes to scout best young players, says coach Ram Mehar Singh
- PGA Tour players call for Jay Monahan’s resignation after merger
- IND vs AUS WTC Final, London weather update LIVE: Will it rain today at the Oval during Day 1 of India vs Australia match?