World number 20 Matteo Berrettini withdrew from the French Open for a second successive year on Saturday after failing to recover from an abdominal injury.
The 27-year-old Italian, who suffered the injury at the Monte Carlo Masters in April, will focus on returning for the grass court season.
“I will not be ready in time for Paris so my return to the tour will be in Stuttgart,” he wrote on Instagram.
Berrettini is the defending champion at the Stuttgart event which gets underway on June 12.
He missed last year’s French Open with a hand injury 12 months after making the quarter-finals.
Latest on Sportstar
- Lionel Messi bids farewell to Paris amid boos
- Jabeur overcomes slow start to reach French Open fourth round
- Cerundolo downs Fritz to reach second week of slam for first time
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years