Tennis fans gave Novak Djokovic a raucous welcome during his first match in Australia in almost two years when he made a rare doubles appearance at the Adelaide International on Monday.
Playing with Canada’s Vasek Pospisil, they lost to doubles specialists Tomislav Brkic and Gonzalo Escobar 4-6, 6-3, 10/5 but enjoyed overwhelming crowd support along the way.
The Serbian superstar was deported from the country before the 2022 Australian Open for not being vaccinated for Covid and was subsequently barred from re-entering for three years.
But the ban was lifted in November and he will be attempting to win a 10th Australian Open title later this month.
The match was played on a packed outside court, with the spectators who managed to get in firmly behind Djokovic.
He walked out to loud cheers and fans chanting “Novak, Novak”.
While there were plenty of Serbian flags courtside, it became obvious that everyone was barracking for the 35-year-old, who stayed behind to sign autographs and pose for selfies after the match.
Djokovic will now focus on his first singles of the year, against Frenchman Constant Lestienne.
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023-24 Playoffs, PKL 10 LIVE Score: DD 16-15 PP, Sachin’s Patna Pirates leads Ashu’s Dabang Delhi in Eliminator 1 before Gujarat Giants lock horns with Haryana Steelers
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Updates, WPL 2024: Kapp jolts UPW early, removes top order
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC 0-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: All square at halftime but Chennai seems the stronger side
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- Maiden First-Class ton after 110 overs of keeping: Hardik Tamore’s grit takes Mumbai to safety in Ranji quarters