The Sports School, in association with Rohan Bopanna Tennis Academy, will offer a full scholarship to 60 promising junior tennis players.
The junior players, in U-12, U-13 and U-16 age-groups, will be provided with boarding, lodging, school education and other facilities free of cost.
“We are looking at AITA-ranked players — 20 players in each of the three age-groups. This is a unique scholarship programme which aims to balance education and sports,” Bopanna said via a web conference on Tuesday.
Selected children will be enrolled in The Sports School here — a residential educational facility with a focus on high-performance sports training. The school boasts of seven all-weather floodlit courts, gymnasium, and access to physiotherapy and nutrition services.
Balachandran Manikkath will serve as the head coach of the tennis programme.
U.V. Sankar, The Sports School Director, stated, "The academics will be tailor-made for the student, in such a way that he/she can focus on excelling in sports."
After an initial online screening of applicants, the shortlisted children will be invited to the academy for further selection rounds.
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023