Simona Halep believes she deserved the blunt criticism after coach Darren Cahill labelled the Wimbledon champion a "disgrace" during her WTA Finals defeat to Karolina Pliskova.
World number five Halep slipped to a 6-0 2-6 6-4 loss on Friday, as her season came to an end in disappointing fashion.
During a courtside discussion with her coach, midway through the deciding set, Cahill condemned the 28-year-old's performance by saying: "The last three games you have been an absolute disgrace on court."
Cahill's tough words did not have the desired effect, with Pliskova going on to progress to the semifinals where world number one Ashleigh Barty awaits her.
Halep, however, has conceded her coach was right to be so harsh on her.
"I'm pretty sure that I deserved it because I was not calm," Halep said in a news conference, according to WTA Insider.
"I changed something in my attitude."
"Everyone knows that I'm working on that. I was a little bit p***** at myself that I did that. I'm sure that I made him p***** also."
Since her superb run to Wimbledon glory, former world number one Halep has failed to find her best form, only making it into the last eight in one of the five tournaments she has participated in since July.
- India vs Bangladesh LIVE Score, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Shami, Shardul strike with new ball - IND vs BAN updates
- India vs Bangladesh Live Scorecard, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Streaming info; Litton, Tanzid dismissed early, Shami, Thakur get a scalp each
- India vs Bangladesh Colombo weather LIVE updates, Asia Cup 2023: No rain currently as Super 4 IND v BAN game starts
- India vs Bangladesh Toss Updates, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: India wins the toss, opts to field first
- IND vs BAN, Asia Cup 2023 Super 4: Tilak Varma makes ODI debut for India