Wang Yafan downed Donna Vekic to set up a final clash against Sofia Kenin in the WTA Mexican Open.
China's Wang advanced to her first WTA-level final thanks to a rallying 2-6, 6-3, 6-1 victory against Vekic earlier on Friday. Wang broke eight times as she prevailed after almost two hours on court with the Croatian.
"It was a tough match," Wang told reporters post-match. "I tried to fight for every point."
American fifth seed Kenin proved too good for teenager Bianca Andreescu 6-4 3-6 7-5 in Acapulco on Friday. Canadian 18-year-old Andreescu led 3-0 to start the first set but she lost five successive games as Kenin hit the front.
Kenin – winner of the Hobart International this year – was pegged back by Andreescu in the second set but the 20-year-old was not to be denied in the third.
Meanwhile, at the Oracle Challenger Series at Indian Wells, Zarina Diyas, Jennifer Brady, Viktorija Golubic and Qiang Wang advanced to the semi-final.
- Ronaldo finds the net as Al Nassr cruises to 3-1 win against Al Wehda in Saudi Pro League
- Al Wehda vs Al Nassr highlights, WEH 1-3 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo, Alamri, Telles goals guide Nassr to win
- ATP Finals 2023: From Djokovic to Alcaraz, meet the eight finalists
- Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies at 28 after suffering a cardiac arrest mid-game
- IND vs NED, World Cup 2023: The sounds of watching Shubman Gill bat