Several top wrestlers, including World and Olympic medallists, will be seen in action at the three-day National wrestling championships to be held here from Thursday.
In the absence of the wrestlers who competed in the Tokyo Olympics -- who have skipped the year-ending event due to various issues -- elite names like Olympic medallist Sakshi Malik, World championships medallists Sarita Mor and Pooja Dhanda, World under-23 medallists Divya Kakran and Nisha, Worlds medallists Narsingh Yadav and Rahul Aware, Commonwealth games and Asian medallist Satyawart Kadian, Olympian Sandeep Tomar and Asian medallist Parveen Rana will make the event exciting.
Former Worlds medallist and Commonwealth Games gold medallist Geeta Phogat is eyeing to make a comeback in the event, which will serve as a perfect launch pad for the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games next year.
Railways, which had been stationed here for the last month to conduct a camp, Services, which has selected a team of young and experienced wrestlers, and Haryana will be some of the power-packed units in the championships.
Meanwhile, the annual general meeting of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) will coincide with the Nationals. Important topics such as selection criteria of wrestlers for the Olympics and fielding of two teams by a unit at the National championships are likely to be discussed in the meeting.
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bumrah released from squad; KL Rahul ruled out due to injury
- Japan women’s captain condemns AFC over venue switch for Paris Olympics Qualifier against North Korea
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Shardul Thakur runs the show to ensure Mumbai has last laugh against Assam