Indian weightlifters have done reasonably well at the Asian Games over the years, but a gold medal has eluded the country so far. It is also one of the few events in which the country’s women have had a better track record than the men. Eleven lifters have finished on the podium across men and women — with Kunjarani Devi, Karnam Malleswari and Bharti Singh being the only ones to win in successive editions of the competition.
While 48kg world champion Mirabai Chanu was expected to be the flagbearer for the Indian weightlifting team and a favourite for a medal, lower-back pain has ruled her out. Sathish Sivalingam, the other bright prospect for a medal, has also spent nearly a month in rehabilitation after winning the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games earlier this year. Even though he is back in training, it needs to be seen if he can push himself all the way.
- New Zealand eyes comeback win in second Test against Bangladesh
- SLC files anti-graft commission complaint against ex-sports minister Ranasinghe
- ‘New Leicester’ Girona can win LaLiga, says ex-Spain player Luis Garcia
- Shooter loses left thumb after pistol’s gas cylinder explodes at Karni Singh Range
- T20 World Cup 2024: Ravi Bishnoi emerges as India’s third spin option after successful outing against Australia