Salazar’s appeal hearing in doping case postponed to March

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said it has moved next week’s scheduled hearing for Alberto Salazar and endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown to a new slot from March 3-12.

Alberto Salazar

Alberto Salazar’s doping offences include trafficking testosterone, tampering with the doping control process, and administering illicit infusions of the fat-burning substance, L-carnitine. He, however, denies any wrongdoing (File Photo).   -  Getty Images

Alberto Salazar’s appeal against a four-year ban in a doping case was postponed on Thursday because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport said it has moved next week’s scheduled hearing for Salazar and endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown to a new slot from March 3-12.

The court’s plans to hold in-person hearings have been affected by tighter travel restrictions during a renewed wave of COVID-19 infections.

READ | AFI gearing up to get off the block

Salazar and Brown were banned by the United States Anti-Doping Agency in October 2019 while the coach attended the track world championships in Qatar.

USADA acted after a six-year investigation into Salazar’s Nike Oregon Project training group led to charges including possessing and trafficking testosterone.

Salazar denied wrongdoing and said last year “the Oregon Project has never and will never permit doping.”

No runner linked to Salazar’s group, including four-time Olympic champion Mo Farah, was directly implicated in doping by investigators.