Athletes of the SAI Training Centre in Solalgaon have filed an FIR against the in-charge and swimming coach, Mrinal Basumatary, accusing him of sexual harassment.
Most of the athletes are minor girls, the Sports Authority of India stated in a release as a complaint was lodged at the Paltan Bazar Police Station here on Thursday taking into account the “gravity of the matter”.
“As SAI adopts zero tolerance policy towards sexual harassment cases, the same will be followed up so as to ensure that justice is delivered to our athletes,” SAI stated in the release.
The matter was brought to light by some athletes of SAI, STC Solalgaon and their coach on the sidelines of selection trials in Guwahati.
The matter was further referred to the internal committee of the nodal sports body’s regional centre, and a probe has already started.
Sources at the SAI, Guwahati said the matter is being dealt with the “highest priority due to the highly sensitive nature” of the issue. They, however, refused to more further details.
- Indian sports wrap, February 29
- IND vs ENG, 5th Test: KL Rahul ruled out; Bumrah back for India
- WPL 2024: Kiran Navgire hits half-century, UP Warriorz beats Mumbai Indians by seven wickets
- Prague Masters: Praggnanandhaa commits blunder, loses second round match
- Packed schedule is ‘killing the product’, PFA chief warns