Indian shuttlers registered a dominating 5-0 victory over Cook Islands to make a winning start to their campaign in the mixed team event of the BWF World Junior Championships in Spokane, USA.
The mixed doubles pair of Sathwik Reddy Kanapuram and Vaishnavi Khadkekar provided India a winning start, beating Kaiyin Mataio and Tereapii Akavi with a resounding 21-6, 21-8 victory.
Ayush Shetty and Tara Shah further extended India’s lead with dominant show in their respective singles matches.
In the boys’ singles match, Ayush displayed his skills to register an impressive 21-6, 21-3 win over Daniel Akavi, while Tara showcased her class and just took 14 minutes to beat Te Pa O Te Rangi Tupa 21-3, 21-6 in girls singles.
Later, the pair of Nicholas and Tushar defeated Emanuela Mataio and Kaiyin Mataio comfortably with a scoreline of 21-9, 21-5 in the boys’ doubles match.
The girls’ doubles duo of Radhika Sharma and Tanvi Sharma demonstrated excellent teamwork to clinch a 21-4, 21-7 win over Tereapii Akavi and Vaitea Crocombe-ama.
India has received a walkover against the Dominican Republic and will next face Brazil and Germany in its next two Group D matches.
Badminton Association of India (BAI) has sent a 16-member squad for the prestigious tournament which will conclude on October 8.
- China Masters 2023: Lakshya, Priyanshu, Srikanth out after first round defeat
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers AFC points table after India vs Qatar: Blue Tigers third in Group A
- ICC ODI Rankings: Kohli moves to third spot after World Cup performance
- World Cup Diary: A Diwali in Bengaluru, old wounds heal and the final heartbreak
- Transgender cricketer Danielle McGahey retires after ICC ruling