The richest tournament in badminton got even richer on Wednesday after the sport’s governing body ramped up the prize pot for the season-ending BWF World Tour Finals to $11.5 million over the next four years.
The prize money for this year’s Finals, taking place from December 13-17 in the Chinese city of Hangzhou, will be $2.5 million, up from $1.5 million last year.
It will increase over the coming years to $3.5 million in 2026, the Kuala Lumpur-based Badminton World Federation said.
“We are delighted to be able to confirm $11.5 million over the next four years for what already is our signature finale to the BWF World Tour,” secretary general Thomas Lund said.
“This represents an overall greater commitment to our players and contributes to an enhanced world-class sports product that we seek.”
- Japan Masters 2023: Prannoy beats China’s Cheuk Yu; Lakshya, Priyanshu exit after losing in first round
- IND vs NZ Live Score Updates, ICC World Cup 2023 Semifinal: Mitchell, Williamson put chase on track
- Babar Azam steps down as Pakistan captain in all three formats
- IND vs NZ: Ravindra equals Williamson’s record for most runs by New Zealand batter in single edition of ODI World Cup
- Indian sports news wrap, November 15