After a convincing semifinal victory over Singapore, India's shuttlers will be expected to grab the badminton gold in the mixed team event on Day Five at the XXI Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast. India will play Malaysia in the final, which is to be contested at 1.01 pm IST.
Can India add to its tally of five weightlifting gold medals? On Monday, three Indians will be in with a chance of claiming the first prize; Lalchhanhim and Purnima Reddy will contest the women’s 90kg and +95kg categories respectively, while Gurdeep Singh, among men, will attempt to gain the gold medal in the +105kg category.
India may win a surprise medal in athletics on Monday, too. Shot putter Tejinder Singh will participate in the final, while long-distance runner Suriya Loganathan will feature in the women’s 10,000m final. Mohammad Anas Yahiya would have a chance to qualify for the 400m final. These events will take place in the evening.
Two of India’s pugilists will be in action on Monday, too. Gaurav Solanki (men’s 52kg) and Manish Kaushik (men’s 60kg) will contest the pre-quarterfinal round.
In the morning, India's hockey team plays Malaysia in a Pool B contest.
Given below is the schedule of events featuring Indian athletes on April 9 and the early hours of April 9. (All timings are IST)
- Men high jump qualifying — Tejaswini Shankar, 5.50 am
- Women’s 400m — M.R. Povamma, 6 am, Heat 5 — Hima Das, 6.28 am
- Men’s 400m semifinal (3) — Muhammed Anas Yahiya, 3.42 pm
- Men shot put final — Tejinder Singh, 3.55 pm
- Women 10000m final — Suriya Loganathan, 4.05 pm
- Mixed team (final) — India vs Malaysia, 1.01 pm
- Men 52kg (Round of 16) — Gaurav Solanki 8.02 am
- Men 60kg (Round of 16) — Manish Kaushik, 8.47 am
- Lawn Bowls
- Men singles Section A (Round 1) — Krishna Xalxo, 7.45 am
- Men’s Triples Section A (Round 1) — India, 12.31 pm
- Women’s triples (Round 2) — India, 3.30 pm
- Men’s triples Section A (Round 2), 3.30 pm
- 10m air rifle (women) qualification — Apurvi Chandela, Mehuli Ghosh, 6.30 am,
- Final: 8.30 am
- Men 200m backstroke (heat 2) — Srihari Nataraj, 6.05 am,
- 50m freestyle (heat 6) — Virdhawal Khade, 6.43 am
- Women’s 90 and +90kg final – Lalchhanhim and Purnima Reddy, 9.30 am,
- Men’s +105kg final — Gurdeep Singh, 2 pm
- Men Pool B league match, India vs Malaysia, 5 am
- Lawn bowls
- Men singles Section A (Round 3), 4.30 am,
- Women pairs Section A (Round 2), 4.30 am
- Men’s 50m rifle prone qualification – Gagan Narang, Chain Singh, 4.30 a.m., final — 8.30 am
- Women’s 25m pistol qualification — Heena Sidhu, Annu Singh, 4.30 a.m., final — 11 am.