India’s top-ranked men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty, and singles player H S Prannoy progressed to the quarterfinals of the China Masters, a BWF World Tour Super 750 event, in Shenzhen on Thursday.
Asian Games gold medallists Satwik and Chirag defeated Japan’s Akira Koga and Taichi Saito 21-15, 21-16 in 46 minutes. In the quarterfinals, the Indian duo will face Indonesia’s Leo Rolly Carnando and Daniel Marthin.
Asian Games bronze medallist Prannoy too made it to the quarterfinals with a straight-games win. He beat Denmark’s Magnus Johannesen 21-12, 21-18 in 40 minutes. Prannoy next takes on Japan’s Kodai Naraoka.
Against Johannesen, Prannoy started on a bright note and used his smart play to race to a 6-1 lead in the first game before the Dane reduced it to 8-6 and then to 14-11.
But the Indian used all his experience and engaged his opponent in long rallies to tire him out and pocket the first game.
The second game was an intense affair as both the shuttlers fought tooth and nail till 15 points and then were tied at 18 apiece before Prannoy got the better of his opponent to close out the contest and seal his quarterfinal spot.
(With inputs from PTI)
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Karnataka 286 all out vs Vidarbha; Baroda concedes lead to Mumbai
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 145/9, leads by 191 runs; Ashwin gets Foakes
- Yathiraj, Pramod and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Fighting knock from fighter’s son: Dhruv Jurel walks in footsteps of father, a Kargil War veteran
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon