India’s Sameer Verma put up a daunting effort before going down in three games in a pulsating opening round clash against World no 2 Chinese Shi Yuqi in the USD 750,000 Malaysia Open here on Tuesday.
The 24-year-old from Madhya Pradesh, who had lost to Shi Yuqi in the semifinals of the World Tour Finals in December last year, suffered a heart-breaking 20-22, 23-21, 12-21 loss in a 65-minute men’s singles here.
Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N. Sikki Reddy, however, made a good start to their campaign, eking out a 22-20, 24-22 win over Ireland’s Sam Magee and Chloe Magee in mixed doubles.
The men’s singles match was a close battle till 8-8. Sameer fell back to 11-16 but he fought back to make it 20-20 before being edged out by Shi Yuqi in the opening game.
The second game was no different as the Indian was lagging 11-16 again but this time he not only clawed back at 20-20, Sameer reeled off three points to take the match to the decider.
In the third game, Shi Yuqi jumped to a 9-0 lead and didn’t allow the Indian to fight back.
- Asian Games 2023, September 25 LIVE updates: India wins maiden cricket gold; Indian men’s team clinches record-breaking gold in 10m air rifle
- Asian Games 2023, Highlights: Indian women’s team beats Sri Lanka by 19 runs, wins country’s maiden cricket gold
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 25 LIVE - India 6th after women’s cricket team secures 2nd gold medal
- Asian Games 2023: India women’s team clinches gold, beats Sri Lanka by 19 runs
- Sri Lanka’s Sachithra Senanayake granted bail over match-fixing allegations