My mom means the world to me. She is a huge inspiration and motivates me. A person who pushed me to greater heights. She’s always been the biggest support especially at times when I low or I was complacent. It was her desire that pushed me.
I remember the time when I won the All England Championship (in 2001), I called up her in the night to ask her, “Are you happy now?” Because she was the kind of woman who would never be happy. When I had won the state championship, she had wanted more. When I had won the nationals, she had wanted more. Well, she always wanted more – that really propelled me to heights of excellence in whatever challenge I accepted.
For me, she is the real star.
As told to V. V. Subrahmanyam.
- They didn’t even try playing shots, Mhambrey on West Indies batters
- Live Score IND vs WI 2nd Test, Day 4: Ashwin removes Brathwaite, Chanderpaul in quick succession; West Indies down down in 365 chase vs India
- Hopman Cup: Croatia downs Switzerland to clinch title
- Jonas Vingegaard wins second successive Tour de France
- Wrestling trials for Asian Games: Upsets galore show past has little influence on the present