India’s Grandmaster D Gukesh had to be content with a sixth place finish in the rapid play-offs of the Weissenhaus Freestyle Chess challenge after losing the last three rounds here.
Nodirbek Abdusattarov of Uzbekistan dominated the rapid event that was mainly done to determine the pairings for the knockout stage.
The young Uzbek ended with an impressive 5.5 points out of a possible seven and finished a half point clear of Vincent Keymer of Germany.
Fabiano American Levon Aronian ended seventh ahead of the struggling reigning world champion Ding Liren who made just a draw with six losses in the event.
Gukesh simply had a bad day in office. The day started on a rough note against Caruana who did not miss any trick in the book to knock down a rook for a minor piece before rampaging the black’s king side with a perfect attack.
Against Abdusattarov, Gukesh had to make some difficult choices in a complicated middle game and for once, the Indian was on the wrong side while against Keymer it was all over in a mere 22 moves.
With the rapid games done with, Gukesh will now take on Caruana in the Quarterfinals to be played under Classical time control. It is a known fact that Classical Chess is the Indian’s forte and he is likely to be a tough challenger to the elite opponents.
Abdusattarov, by virtue of winning, gets off-form Ding Liren as his opponent and Carlsen will meet match Alireza. Vincent Keymer and Aronian will play the other match.
In the Quarterfinal stages there will be two games each and the winner will be decided in games of shorter time control in case of a tied result.
- Odisha FC vs East Bengal LIVE score, ISL 10: OFC v EBFC match updates; Kick-off at 7:30 PM IST; When, where to watch
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants look to break duck against UP Warriorz
- RCB-W vs DC-W Live Score Updates, Live Streaming Info: Toss at 7:00 PM
- Paul Pogba banned: FIFA World Cup winner handed four-year ban for doping
- Al Nassr vs Al Hazem LIVE Streaming Info: When and where to watch the Saudi Pro League, Ronaldo suspended ahead of game