- On this day: When Kapil’s Devils stunned the world
- Kapil Dev on 40 years of India’s 1983 World Cup win: Beating England in semifinal closest to my heart
- Sunil Gavaskar on 40 years of India’s 1983 World Cup win: Administrators could demand World Cup be held in India
- Mohinder Amarnath on India’s 1983 World Cup win: Our team had a lot of quality all-rounders
Kabir Khan was just in his teens when India scripted history by clinching the World Cup in 1983. While he has vague memories of that final, the decorated filmmaker remembers that evening of June 25 when hundreds of people took to the streets in Hyderabad to celebrate the historic occasion.
Years later, when Khan decided to bring ‘83’ to the silver screen, he knew that his story would be about celebrating the victory of the underdogs and how a bunch of young cricketers battled the odds and conquered the world.
It, obviously, was a challenging task. But the seasoned director ensured that he had long sessions with the batch of 1983 before finalising the finer details of the storyline and eventually creating magic on screen.
India’s 1983 World Cup win was a historic moment in the game’s tradition. It was the makings of a new superpower in the world of cricket. It added a chapter to a long list of famous underdog stories sports across the world has and it give India the audacity to dream.
Several people watched Kapil Dev and his boys make history by defeating the mighty West Indies in the final at Lord’s - some at the venue itself, others on their television screens or on the radio.
- MI vs DC Live Score, WPL 2024: Last-ball six from Sajana clinches thriller for Mumbai Indians
- Dubai Championships 2024: Qualifier Kalinskaya upsets World No. 1 Swiatek, faces Paolini in final
- ISL 2023-24: Bipin grabs brace as Mumbai City cruises to win against Chennaiyin
- Manchester United to play Arsenal in one of FIFA World Cup 2026 venues during pre-season
- Mike Tyson, Francis Ngannou set for Professional Fighters League debut in Saudi Arabia