The decision over adding two new teams to the Indian Premier League (IPL) bandwagon is set to be taken during the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI's) Annual General Meeting (AGM) on December 24.
The IPL teams' issue is listed in the notice and agenda for the 89th AGM, which was circulated by secretary Jay Shah, late night on Wednesday.
“Approval on inclusion of 2 (two) new team to the Indian Premier League,” states the agenda, accessed by Sportstar .
The manner in which the item has been phrased as one of the 23 points on the agenda hints that it’s all but given that two new teams will be added to the IPL fold ahead of the 2021 edition.
The BCCI hierarchy has been keen on adding teams to the IPL mix for a while. Multiple corporates have shown interest and the Board will also try and offer stake or a team to promoters of the now-defunct Kochi franchise as a compensatory measure.
The BCCI owes more than Rs 5,000 crore to Kochi promoters after a court-appointed arbitrator ruled against the Board for wrongful termination.
A long list of eligible venues was presented to the bidders in 2010. This time around, a pruned list will be made available. A maximum of six venues – Ahmedabad, Kochi, Guwahati, Lucknow, Pune and Dehradun – are likely to be offered in the bid document.
At least three corporate giants - a Gujarat-based energy firm, a Kolkata-based industrial conglomerate and a prominent banker - are understood to be bracing themselves for entering the bidding war.
AGM venue uncertain
The agenda does not specify the venue of the AGM, thus implying that in case the venue is not mentioned, the meeting will be held at the headquarters in Mumbai. However, if the government authorities in Maharashtra do not give clearance for a congregation, the meeting may be held at Ahemdabad, Kolkata or Chennai.
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC 0-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: Murray’s header saved by East Bengal’s Gill
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023-24 Playoffs, PKL 10 LIVE Score: DD 25-24 PP, Ashu’s Dabang Delhi leads Sachin’s Patna Pirates in Eliminator 1 before Gujarat Giants lock horns with Haryana Steelers
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Score, WPL 2024: Shweta Sehrawat falls, below-par score on the cards
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Flying under the radar, Sandeep Warrier has been pivotal in Tamil Nadu’s dominance
- Indian sports wrap, February 26