For Kapil Dev and VVS Laxman, it is “time to spend time with family” and they also advocate caution and restraint even as the world battles the lethal Coronavirus.
With more and more sporting activities being cancelled or rescheduled, there is a rare lull among the players’ fraternity. “Yes, forced to stay indoors but we all have to understand the seriousness of the situation,” said Kapil, who is a compulsive outdoor person, ready to tee off at a golf course at the break of dawn.
“I know it would be a new experience for many of us to be confined to our homes, But this is the time to tend your injuries or just get rest, even if forced, to be prepared for the events ahead. You have to stay positive and remember that God is kind to us. Don’t we get to play for ten months a year? So here is the time to be with the family and also be careful and responsible. The authorities are working to arrest the spread of this virus and we all have to avoid public places in the interest of everyone,” said Kapil, having curtailed his visits outside the house.
For Laxman, it was “important” to understand the gravity of the situation. “We have to stop venturing out and have to behave like responsible citizens. For sportsmen, it can help them get the rest they would have desired. We must stay as much time at home as possible. Please listen to the authorities. The more people follow the instructions the quicker the situation will come under control. Let us be responsible and disciplined.”
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- I-League 2023-24 points table LIVE: Sreenidi Deccan on top tied with Mohammedan Sporting Club, I-League standings
- IND vs AUS, 5th T20I: Arshdeep Singh holds nerve in tense final over as India wins series 4-1
- EURO 2024: Which group is the Group of Death at the European Championship?