Batsman Danushka Gunathilaka has been suspended over a misconduct charge in the middle of Sri Lanka’s second Test against South Africa, the country’s cricket board said today.
The 27-year-old opener will be barred from all forms of the game pending the outcome of an investigation, the board said, without specifying the alleged misconduct.
The suspension will go into effect after the Test is concluded in Colombo, it added.
The board will also “withhold Gunathilaka’s fee for the ongoing Test match until the outcome of the inquiry”, it said.
The batsman scored 57 and 61 runs in the second and final Test, with Sri Lanka on track for a series whitewash after trouncing the visitors in Galle last week.
South Africa were 5/139 chasing an impossible-looking 490 target at close of play Sunday.
Another member of Sri Lanka’s Test squad, leg-spinner Jeffrey Vandersay, was on Friday given a suspended one-year ban from international cricket after pleading guilty to misconduct during last month’s tour of the West Indies.
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023-24 Playoffs, PKL 10 LIVE Score: DD 5-12 PP, Ashu’s Dabang Delhi takes on Sachin’s Patna Pirates in Eliminator 1 before Gujarat Giants lock horns with Haryana Steelers
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC 0-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: Chennai on the front foot looking for the opener
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Updates, WPL 2024: Kapp jolts UPW early, removes top order
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- Maiden First-Class ton after 110 overs of keeping: Hardik Tamore’s grit takes Mumbai to safety in Ranji quarters