After New Zealand pulled off a comprehensive five-wicket win against Sri Lanka, Pakistan’s task to get to the semifinals got trickier.
The win extended New Zealand’s advantage in the points table. Pakistan, which can level the Kiwis at 10 points, however, has a lot to cover in terms of net run rate.
Pakistan plays England in Kolkata on November 11 in its final round robin game. New Zealand has a net run rate of 0.74. For Pakistan to reach 0.75, it needs to win by 287 or288 runs if it bats first. If it bowls first, Pakistan needs to chase the target with 284 deliveries to spare.
However, the scenarios are hypothetical when Pakistan bats second. Hence, the deliveries to spare will change with the runs it concedes.
Pakistan’s only real chance is to bat first and score 400 and then restrict England to 112, then its NRR will go above New Zealand.
The fourth placed team in the points table will face India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
(Calculations by Mohandas Menon)
- World Cup 2023: How will Pakistan qualify for semifinals after New Zealand’s win against Sri Lanka?
- Australia vs Bangladesh Live Score, World Cup 2023: Labuschagne runs Shanto out; BAN 171/3 (29)
- England vs Pakistan LIVE Score, World Cup 2023: Can PAK qualify for semis today?; Preview, streaming info
- PAK vs ENG, World Cup 2023: Pakistan eyes big win over England for last semifinal spot
- England vs Pakistan Dream 11 prediction, ICC World Cup 2023: ENG v PAK predicted XI, fantasy team, squads