This morning, Ashton Turner thought he would be carrying drinks for his teammates at the Punjab Cricket Association ground.
Instead, as it turned out, Turner carried Australia to a series-levelling win before walking away with the Man-of-the-Match honours in a record run-chase.
Turner pulls Australia level with whirlwind knock
After he was told he would replace an unfit Marcus Stoinis, Turner marked his return with a furious onslaught, rode his luck and swept aside everything in sight.
“I’m really lost for words,” was how Turner reacted, still coming to terms with the fact that he was indeed the man of the moment. “I had lots of opportunities to hit the ball. Not every day you play this well as a team. It was a great game…very fortunate to come out the right side.”
About the crucial DRS verdict that proved favourable, Turner said, “I know, I didn’t nick the one that went upstairs. But heart was racing. A few dropped chances, very fortunate. It doesn’t always happen,” said the man, who smashed 56 out of his unbeaten 84 runs by sending the ball
to the boundary ropes.
Skipper Virat Kohli had reasons to be livid with the team’s fielding under pressure and made no secret of what he thought of the DRS verdict.
“We were sloppy in the field and should’ve grabbed our chances. But the DRS call was a bit of surprise for all of us and it's becoming a more of a talking point every game. It’s just not consistent at all, when that was a game-changing moment. The opportunities slipped away and so did the game.”
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- 2023 Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 54/4 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi