Delhi Capitals seamer Khaleel Ahmed became the fastest Indian to pick 50 wickets in the Indian Premier League (IPL) during a match against Lucknow Super Giants at the Ekana Stadium in Lucknow on Saturday.
Khaleel reached the milestone with his second wicket in his 35th match, eclipsing Amit Mishra’s record (37 matches). Khaleel removed Marcus Stoinis and Nicholas Pooran. Overall, South Africa pacer Kagiso Rabada holds the record to the 50-wicket mark in just 27 matches.
Khaleel, who was part of the Delhi team in 2016 and 2017, made his IPL debut in the 2018 season with Sunrisers Hyderabad.
The left-arm pacer has featured in 11 ODIs and 14 T20Is in India between 2018 and 2019 before falling out of favour.
The Rajasthan bowler has only played three games in the 2022-23 domestic season, picking up four wickets in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in October 2022.
Fastest Indians to 50 IPL wickets (matches):
- 35 - Khaleel*
- 37 - Amit Mishra
- 39 - Mohit Sharma
- 40 = RP Singh, Sandeep Sharma, Yuzvendra Chahal
- ISL 2023-24: Goa moves to top with comprehensive 3-0 victory over Chennaiyin
- To Eden, with love: Kohli paints Kolkata blue, scoring 49th ODI century on birthday to equal Tendulkar’s tally
- ICC World Cup 2023, IND vs SA: List of all records broken during India vs South Africa CWC 2023 match
- Vaishali draws her last round to win FIDE Women Grand Prix 2023
- India lifts Women’s Asian Champions Trophy title after thumping win over Japan