England fast bowler Jofra Archer believes his side lacked luck after another disappointing display with the ball has left the team facing a sizeable first innings deficit after day two of the first Test against Pakistan on Thursday.
England bowled well in both morning sessions of the Test, but wilted badly after lunch on each occasion with wayward line and length, and some sloppy fielding, to allow Pakistan amass a highly competitive 326 in its first innings.
Pakistan was much sharper with the ball at Old Trafford and has England, with its long tail that sees Chris Woakes come in at number seven, struggling at 92 for four on a wicket that is already showing signs of wear.
“I dont think it went our way, a lot of balls we bowled today beat the bat or got the edges (that didn't carry to fielders),” Archer told reporters at the close of play.
“Pakistan batted well and put on some pressure after lunch. But I think if it went that way in another test, we probably would have had them eight or nine down in a couple of sessions.”
Archer came in late in the innings to wrap up the Pakistan tail and finish with impressive figures of 3-59.
It was noticeably not the usual firebrand Archer though, and he conceded to bowling within himself, suggesting the wicket does not give sufficient reward for the fast bowlers.
“It's not every day you will bowl 90 miles an hour. No-one is a robot,” he said.
“This wicket is not really one where you will try to bend your back. There was a little bit there in the morning, but you saw it is now spinning on day two.”
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC