Stephen O'Keefe has been fined $10,000 by Cricket Australia (CA) for "conduct unbecoming of a player" following an incident in a Sydney hotel. The spinner was forced home early from Australia's ongoing tour to Sri Lanka due to a hamstring problem, and has accepted the sanction from CA.
O'Keefe allegedly abused police and hotel staff at the Steyne Hotel in Manly on Saturday and has since issued an apology. "I know I failed to uphold the high standards expected of a NSW and Australian cricketer and apologise to all concerned," he said. "I take full responsibility for my actions and accept the sanction handed to me by Cricket Australia."
"Steve has had a difficult couple of weeks but that is no excuse," said Andrew Jones, CEO of O'Keefe's state side New South Wales. "We expect a high standard from our players on and off the field and in this case Steve failed to meet those high standards.
"I have spoken to Steve and he is very disappointed with his behaviour. He has apologised to the management of the Steyne Hotel and accepts that he will be sanctioned."
- UP Warriorz vs Delhi Capitals Live Updates, WPL 2024: Kapp jolts UPW early, removes top order
- Pro Kabaddi League 2023-24 Playoffs, PKL 10 LIVE Score: DD 20-19 PP, Ashu’s Dabang Delhi leads Sachin’s Patna Pirates in Eliminator 1 before Gujarat Giants lock horns with Haryana Steelers
- East Bengal vs Chennaiyin FC LIVE score, EBFC 0-0 CFC, ISL 2023-24: All square at halftime but Chennai seems the stronger side
- Indian sports wrap, February 26
- Maiden First-Class ton after 110 overs of keeping: Hardik Tamore’s grit takes Mumbai to safety in Ranji quarters